White plantation shutters have been a classic in homes across the United States for years. These window treatments are favored for their energy efficiency, light control and clean lines that work with a wide range of home styles. In addition, white works with just about any color, even as décor styles transition over the years.
With white window treatments, it’s natural to be worried that the sun could discolor them. This is namely true if your home gets a lot of intense sunlight or faces south. It’s useful to know that not all window treatments are manufactured the same. And that certain plantation shutters are more vulnerable to yellowing than others. Here’s why.
Why Plantation Shutters Turn Yellow
The sun’s ultraviolet rays are responsible for giving you painful sunburns. They’re also responsible for yellowing your white plantation shutters, especially if you have poorly or overseas-made shutters. These detrimental rays can wear down the protective coating over time. Once the coating is gone, the sun could fade the paint and cause it to look yellow.
Regular cleaning will help keep your shutters looking their best. But once they start turning yellow, there isn’t a lot you can do to fix it. The best way to stop your shutters from yellowing is to invest in high-quality ones that are custom made for your home.
Why Cheap Plantation Shutters Are More Susceptible to Yellowing and Other Issues
Like most other things you buy for your home, you get what you pay for when it comes to window treatments. Here’s why cheap or off-the-shelf plantation shutters aren’t as worthwhile as they initially seem to be.
- They sometimes won’t fit your windows very well. For ideal energy efficiency and light control, plantation shutters are required to fit seamlessly against the window frame. Cheap plantation shutters are usually not a good fit, and your efficiency and light management could drop as a result.
- They’re manufactured from low-grade materials. Cheaper plantation shutters are constructed using low-quality materials, such as vinyl and composite, and are sometimes hollow. Besides yellowing, they could also be more vulnerable|exposed|susceptible]512] to warping, cracking or chipping.
- They’re thinly protected with low-quality paint. Lower-quality paint sometimes contains volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These substances can be emitted by your shutters over time, causing headaches and eye and nasal irritation in some people. It’s also helpful to know that poor-quality paint might not include a protective UV coating, which could hasten the yellowing process.
- They’re made overseas. You never know what type of quality you will get with plantation shutters that are manufactured overseas. They tend to be lower quality than ones that are made in the United States.
- They may demand continuous maintenance. Poorly made plantation shutters often need frequent maintenance if parts shake loose or louvers begin to wilt. In some cases, you may not be able to fix sagging louvers if your shutters don’t use tension screws.
- They don’t include a warranty.
Louver Shop of Tampa Plantation Shutters Are Guaranteed Against Yellowing and Other Problems
At Louver Shop of Tampa, we’ve been building our company on outstanding plantation shutters for some time. Here’s why investing in our shutters is a smart decision for your home.
- Our plantation shutters are customized for your home. No two homes or windows are alike, and your window treatments ought to reflect that. We begin our process with a free, in-home consultation so you can review all available options up close. From material to louver size and frame style, you’ll be able to fully customize your plantation shutters. And thanks to our free professional measurements and free standard installation, you’re guaranteed to get a seamless fit with your new shutters.
- Our plantation shutters are made from high-quality materials. Whether you choose our polymer LouverWood® shutters for top energy efficiency or Heritage shutters for the most classic look, you’re getting window treatments made from premium materials. We utilize an exclusive polymer and furniture-grade hardwoods in our shutters that not only look good but last for years.
- Our plantation shutters are colored with exclusive paints. Louver Shop of Tampa plantation shutters are finished with proprietary water-based paints. These paints are safer for you and your family since they’re nontoxic and low in VOCs. They’re also protected against fading and yellowing.
- Our plantation shutters are made in the USA. We manufacture your custom shutters at our plant in Gainesville, Georgia. Not only are they high quality, this means you’ll also obtain them much sooner, generally within a few weeks.
- Our plantation shutters are low maintenance. Our shutters are easy to clean and won’t need to be tightened.
- Our plantation shutters are protected by one of the best limited warranties. Louver Shop of Tampa plantation shutters are guaranteed against some of the most common issues, including yellow, fading, cracking, peeling, sagging and warping. They also provide a lifetime limited warranty on moving parts, workmanship and the painted finish.
Start Designing Your Custom Plantation Shutters with Louver Shop of Tampa Today
Plantation shutters are an investment in your sense of style. Finding the right ones means you’ll enjoy beautiful shutters for years with worry-free performance. With your vision and our expertise, you’re guaranteed to create window treatments you’ll love. Begin elevating your home with Louver Shop of Tampa by requesting your free, in-home consultation today! Call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule your appointment now.